August 31, 2006

What to do about changing your name after marriage

A reader just wrote an interesting question. She is a postdoc with 10 publications under her belt. She writes
"...while I have started using my married name in my social/personal life, I am still in two minds about the idea of changing my name for the purposes of publication.

I wondered if you had any thoughts on this and if there was a 'rule' of sorts in academia about how many papers is too many to change your name. I am still early in my career, so I wondered if you had any thoughts or advice for me on this topic. I don't know anyone who's married after they've started publishing, so I don't have any friends or colleagues I can ask for advice."

She goes on to say that she's thinking of using a hyphenated name for publishing purposes, combining the name she has published under already with her married name. I think this is a good option.

What have others done, and what's your opinion on what works best?


At 4:33 PM, Blogger Chaser said...

No help, I'm afraid. He kept his name, I kept mine. But I suspect this can be managed easily enough at tenure time with a note in the dossier. The problem is with searches. Hmmm.

At 9:33 PM, Blogger Gina Hiatt, Ph.D. said...

Yes, I agree that searches are the main problem. I wonder whether a hyphenated name takes care of that problem.


Post a Comment

<< Home